Tuesday, April 12, 2011

This time last year...

I had no idea that April 12th would be THE day that our two precious little girls would come into this world! I wasn't feeling great but didn't think too much about it.  I sat out on our patio for a few hours that afternoon catching a few rays and writing a few thank you notes.  Little did I know that would be the last few hours of quiet for a while ;) Luckily, a friend and nurse from Larkin's hospital was coming over to look at the nursery and we had asked her to check my blood pressure in the meantime. Well, she did and the rest is history! It was sky high and my doctor said to head to Memphis. We really thought they would monitor me for a little while, but as my doctor put it, "looks like we're going to have a birthday party tonight!" My body had gotten toxic so a section would shortly follow. We got to the hospital around 7 PM and Sally Kate was born at 11:46 and Simmons was born at 11:48...

It all still seems so surreal. It was a moment I will never forget. I just wanted to hear them cry and know they were healthy.  Well, their lungs worked and they were absolutely perfect in every way...just tiny! Simmons was 4 lbs 3 oz and Sally Kate was 5 lbs. 7 oz.

I got to recovery shortly after mid-night and I immediately called my parents who I knew were on the way.  My mom couldn't believe I was calling her from the recovery room and looking back, I can't either! I remember thinking, "I just had those babies, I just had those babies..." (We had told both of our parents to hang tight at home because we really didn't think they would take them before morning but they did so they were all driving up at 2 AM & 3 AM.)

What a joyful night and early morning of April 13th it was. I couldn't sleep for being so excited.  They brought Sally Kate in the next morning and Simmons went on to the NICU so she could grow into learning how to eat well. Two weeks later we were all home and it was wonderful!!!


Here we are a year later and celebrating two of the most precious things the Lord has ever given to us. It's been such a good year...some of our greatest joy has come from it and I can't wait to see what this next year brings. It really has taken us a year to get adjusted and to feel like we have our feet back on the ground...moms of multiples told us it would but I didn't really think it would take a whole year to get adjusted. But, it does, so if you're about to have two babies just plan on being at home for a while---your life will be much easier that way ;)

We're celebrating these two cute things on Saturday with a pink bunny party but here are a few pictures from the celebrating we've done today....more pictures to come...








HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET GIRLS!!!!! WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David, Rachel, Drews and Kate said...

happy birthday to my sweet little durlins!!! love them so much and am soooo grateful to have them in our lives!! cant wait to kiss on and celebrate them soon!! xxoxoxo - their Aunt Durlin

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

God bless those sweet baby girls!!! happy birthday SL&S!!! :)

DK Baria said...

Happy Birthday to the girls. what a change a year can bring! y'all enjoy the party and before you know it you will be planning #2.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! Can't wait to see pics from the party! Love y'all.